Recipe inspired by https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/gluten-free-hearty-chicken-pot-pie/78b0ab8f-a1c1-43a3-8258-e0bb35751d55#cgcRatingAndReview with some great comments recommending doubling the gravy/liquid and the topping. I ended up doing both (but not doubling veggies and meat, which could have been increased slightly). The second time I did 1.5x liquid and GF cheddar biscuits topping instead of Bisquick – highly recommend that substitute if you like cheddar biscuits.
- 1bag (12 oz) frozen mixed vegetables or similar quantity any other vegetables. I used chopped potatoes and carrots to make it low FODMAP.
- 1 1/2cups cut-up cooked chicken (I used canned)
- 1 3/4cups low FODMAP chicken broth (I used FODY chicken soup base to make this)
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free salt
- 3/4 cup milk (lactose free if you need it)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- For the topping:
- 3/4 cup GF Bisquick
- 1/2cup milk (lactose free if needed)
- 2tablespoons melted butter
- OR use a box of GF cheddar biscuits and follow the box directions (add cheese, water, mix)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In 3-quart saucepan, Stir in vegetables, chicken, chicken broth, salt; heat to boiling.
- For low FODMAP, I used FODY chicken soup base and so started with water + soup base first, then added chicken, vegetables, and salt.
- In small bowl, mix 3/4 cup milk and the cornstarch with wire whisk until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Heat just to boiling. Pour into ungreased 2-quart casserole. (With doubling liquid and topping, I ended up pouring into a 9×13 and then an 8×8 so it didn’t overflow)
- In small bowl, stir all topping ingredients with fork until blended. Drop topping mixture by small spoonfuls over chicken mixture. *in my second version of this, it was much better with the cheddar biscuits topping*
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of topping comes out clean.